By Cesar HARADA, Guillaume DUPONT, Kwanyuk Agnes CHAN, Ricky SZETO
We tested “Crazy man” in the pier of Tsuen Wan West in very light conditions (2-5 knots) and with a current quite strong (0,5 knots) in the same direction as the wind. In spite of these conditions, the boat sailed easily and against the wind. There was no wind close to the shore and a little bit more in the center of the channel. The boat was able to tack and to jib. Nevertheless, it is hard to say if the scales we put on the hull significantly improved the performance.
We use some different materials for the boat. The hull and the gearbox are made in fiberglass with polyester resin. The top for gearbox is in 5mm plywood and the hull is made of flexible EVA foam (Ethylene-vinyl acetate). The scales are glued on the foam are made of sheet of polycarbonate. Finally, the mast is a aluminium tube of 13 mm diameter and the sails are in polycarbonate.
In this version, the gearbox is combined to the cabin in order to reduce the size of cabin and the weight of the whole boat.Previous control system was used - one motor for sail control and one for the hull control.
The performance of of system is fair in this boat as the range of hull shifting is not large.Since the power of motor is limited the long hull resulted in control difficulty.
Motor and control system (Hull & Sail)
Previous Actions Validation on Protei “Crazy Man”
1. OK : We need to add a piece of audio tape on the top of the mast to know the wind direction and speed
2.OK : Boat is needs to be lighter, reduce weight
3. Not really improved : Make a hull that curves more
4. OK : Minimize the space between the section to minimize turbulences : scales. We used scales, however, we do not know if that significantly enhanced performances.
5. OK : Increase buoyancy
6. OK : find a solution to not have some water into the wooden box. No leak. But it was a lot of work to put the 8 screws on the deck + silicon joint.
7. NO : find other materials which is possible to make the mast and boom
8. OK : find a solution to adjust easier the ropes for curving the hull. The holesin the spine are a good idea.
9. OK : make guides for lines on the deck
10. OK : make one box and not a wooden box + a plastic box for motors and electronic
11. NO : put a switch and a light for the box
12. NO : find llightweight fabric
13. NO : make the hull modular